Wednesday, September 16, 2015

It was all so far away~



Santa Fe, New Mexico








Standing outside Georgia O'Keefe's home in Abiquiu (top photographs) after our engaging tour, my heart just opened to the breathtaking beauty of New Mexico! The landscape, skies, architecture, Georgia's home and art has left a HUGE impression on me, not to mention all the incredible galleries there! In fact, since I've been back from Santa Fe I've had two vivid dreams of painting in Georgia O'Keeffes sparse studio! 

Seeing her work up close for the first time just left me in awe! The intensity of her colors and shapes were so inspiring. I know in my heart this will lead me in new directions down the road. I am hoping to take a pastel workshop with one of my favorite artists, Barbara Jaenicke next summer to kick start what I feel is my new direction with my art!!

Until then I am continuing on with teaching myself colored pencil, which has been enjoyable, challenging, frustrating and wonderful!

My current piece: Sacred Monkey Forest

And the drawing I just finished of a mountain lion cub: A Paws in Time




 

3 comments:

Jennifer Richardson said...

I could drink that sky all day and not get tired of it.
Thanks for sharing the bigness and blueness of it
and for that amazing drawing of the cat....so much wildness!
Every time I come by I get a serving of the wild I didn't even
know I was hungry for. Thank you!
-Jennifer

Diane Hoeptner said...

Wow,wow,wow, Kathryn! "A Paws in Time" is amaze-balls, awesome! More please! (I am a long time fan of Barbara J's, would love to see what you do with pastels?!!)

Jennifer Richardson said...

Terracotta and blue sky....this palate makes my heart smooth out
and thump easy. Thanks for sharing these Santa Fe skies and doors;
they massage my spirit.
Love to your drawings and their artist:)
-Jennifer

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails