Thursday, September 23, 2010

finding peace

Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up.
~Pablo Picasso~
 
i've been in this weird space since i've been back from africa that's almost impossible to put in words. everyone tells me, "africa changes you"...i believe them. 

 
since i've been back i've had no interest in drawing. i pick up my pencil and nothing appears on the paper. i have tried to resist what's really calling me...collages. but finally gave in last night. in between driving my kids to youth group and soccer practices, i had a 45 minute window of opportunity, so i went for it. it's been almost two years since i've worked on creating collages but let me tell you...i was in the zone.

 
i woke up this morning feeling totally at peace. 

i have spent almost my entire adult life chastising myself for not being able to stick to one medium, one subject, even one theme. every time i get close to getting a portfolio together i feel like i'm done with it and i want to move onto something fresh. now normally i would say, that's fine, but for someone like me who wants to be an artist full time, it makes it rather difficult when consistency is not my forte. i'm also slightly jealous of those that can sustain consistency in their body of work.

 
but this morning i woke up and thought, instead of fighting it, why don't i use it to my advantage. YES..that's it! eureka! 
how yet...i don't know. but i can feel it's right there, in the back of my head just waiting to reveal itself.

2 comments:

The Creative Beast said...

DON'T FIGHT IT KAT!! Embrace being a creative beast - if variety is what you need in your life, then so be it and JOYFULLY! And once you embrace that, which you are now doing, it will reveal itself to you...

When will we see the break-thru collage on your blog?? =-)

Lori said...

Kat, I have goosebumps reading this! Yes! Embrace it. I believe it is that way for a reason and the reason is all good. I'm so happy for you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails