Monday, August 11, 2014

Set a spell, take your shoes off

and meet the Clampetts and their feathered friends!!


My newest drawing in progress. 

I've been wanting to draw this trio for some time now, basically since I got back from Kenya 4 years ago, so I guess it's finally their time! I changed things up a bit, added a few oxpeckers and egrets to the scene for interest. 

As some of you may know I was fascinated by all the birds perched on the mammals there, so I tend to always add them to my work.

Oxpeckers can be invasive birds to elephants, but they also reduce the amount of lice, ticks, and other parasites living on elephants' skin and hair. Egrets also eat parasites on the elephants backs but mostly they eat insects that are stirred up from the dust and grass as elephants stroll thru the towering grasses. 

I am hoping to get through all the wrinkles, folds and grasses in this piece in a timely manner...elephants always seem to take me a bit longer to draw...shooting for the end of this week! 

So y'all come back now, y'hear!

3 comments:

The Creative Beast said...

This drawing will be one of your best yet, I can tell!!

Lissa Rachelle said...

This is going to be such a wonderful drawing, Kathryn! Those wrinkles would have me going cross-eyed! Wonderful photos too!

Jennifer Richardson said...

I love how you can see
so well
their worth.
this is gift.
thanks for sharing it,
Jennifer

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails