Saturday, June 27, 2009

empowered

This 8x10 drawing, in progress, will be donated to the California Wildlife Center in Malibu. This is the third year that I have been working with this hard working, dedicate group for their annual fundraiser: The Wild Brunch. I always draw one of the rehabilitated animals from their facility, and this year is no exception.



Could not sleep well Saturday so I put on Lazaris's tape: Deeper Rapport with Our Future Self...woke up feeling a bit dazed. My parents were never, ever supportive of me being an artist, I was to go to college and study accounting like my father and older siblings. If I wouldn't do that then I was to be a nurse. Did my father not see my grades in math! Or know that my weak stomach could not take an ounce of gore? My ex-husband was an incredible support system for me as an artist...he was an artist himself, a brilliant woodworker. And my ex-boyfriend was another huge supporter of my art. I terribly miss that, but with him gone I had to start emotionally supporting myself and really, that's how it should be, isn't it? Before, with not knowing what I really wanted, I was just giving my power away in hopes that someone else would design a future for me, which separated me from my own power. So, here I am, getting clarity lately about what it is I really want to do with my art...what is right for me at this point. I love, love, LOVE creating but the part that eludes me is the business end of it, so that's what I will be focusing on this summer, figuring out what feels right to me in this area. Is it art fairs, galleries, on-line presence, all the above??? Now that I am on my own I have the ability to design out my own future, and that makes me feel very empowered! And that's a great place to be!

Who or what have you given your power away to?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails